My love for the Korean culture, (and yes, I finished the Koreanovela, My Love from the Star in just a week!) started when I was forced to visit Korea for work last 2014. I’ve been there thrice already in a span of 2 years. And I want to come back for spring and autumn!
I compiled the photos of my Korea trips and a few travel ideas I’d like to share with you! Enjoy!
Where to stay:
Hotels are a bit expensive in Korea but you can try hostels and inns. I got a room in Twinrabbit Guesthouse in AirBnB.com in Hongdae area. You can also check out their actual website. It’s clean and comes with free breakfast and unlimited water! haha!
Common Area and Breakfast Lounge
How to get around:
1. From Airport to Seoul or other key cities you can ride the AREX train!
2. Then take trains and buses to get to where you want to go! It’s relatively fast and cheap compared to taxis. If you are staying for more than 3 days, get the M pass or T-Money so you don’t have to buy a ticket for every train or bus ride.
My Favorite Areas in Seoul:
- Bukchon – where you will find traditional and themed cafes and shops and authentic Korean breakfast and meals. You will also see traditional houses called Hanok.
Traditional Hank Houses
- Hongdae – If you want the hip and young vibe go here! Street performances and artists are all over the area and you can watch them for free. There are also a lot of street food and bars/clubs in the area. Oh, and if you like Hello Kitty, there’s a themed cafe here too.
I asked an artist to draw me!
- Jongno-gu – the tourist spots are here like the palaces and the cheonggyecheon stream.
King Sejong in Gwanghwamun Square
Gyeongbokgung Palace and Change of Guards
- Insadong – where you’ll find arts and crafts and antique products! There’s also a Trick eye museum in the area.
- Myeongdong – shopping area and streetfood!
If you want to be a little adventurous you can go to Gyeonggi Area which is 1-2 hours away from Seoul. You can take a train and a bus to visit the key areas like Little Prince and Garden of Morning Calm. This is also near the Nami Island, perfect for your photos!
French Village inspired by the book, Le Petite France. This is also the place where Love from the Star was shot
Snow and Water Park in One Mount
Things to Eat:
- Sugar Pancakes – in Hongdae
- Samgyupsal – in Hongdae, Gangnam, Myeongdong
- Coffee- all over Seoul
- Egg Pancake – in Myeongdong
- Chicken BBQ – in Myeongdong, Hongdae
- Chicken Wings – all over Seoul
- Churros – in Bukchon, Insadong, Hongdae
- Native Chicken Soup – in Gyeonggi
- Ice cream and Ice Cream with Honey comb – Myeongdong
Other things to do:
- Watch a theater performance. Watch the Drumcats perform and dance to the rhythm!
- Visit the N-Seoul Tower and check out the Love padlocks
Just before you climb the tower, you will see this on the floor.
It’s not everyday that you get to be at the center of your Seoul.
- Try the Han River Cruise as seen in the Koreanovela, Love from the Star
- Museum hopping! Have fun in the Trick-eye Museum
- Collect all the maps and guides you can get from the Airport and for each city you visit. It will help you with the directions and you’ll find more areas to visit too!
- It’s usually the old people who talk to me and help me with the directions. They like to practice their english. I also like to think I look like a 15 year old lost girl with a map.
- Go out at night!
- Try speaking their language it will make them more comfortable talking to you!
Go with an open mind and adventurous heart! You will fall in love with Korea!
P.S My excuse for the trips? Work and Play!