If you take the plane, you will land in Lombok. After landing, you will need to take a car going to the ferry and from there sail to the Gili Islands. This will take around 3-6 hours. If you decide to take the ferry it’s a 2 hour boat ride from Bali to Gili Islands.
There are other ferry transfers that you can get but I’m happy that I chose Gili Getaway. The other transfers are like a public bus where you are traveling with 30+ more other travelers. Thus, it can be packed and uncomfortable. Gili Getaway provides a pick up and drop off service and you are sure to get a sit in the boat! They provide water, sunscreen, as well as in house movie viewing. If you don’t want to get stressed, then I suggest you book with them. (This is not paid advertisement, I promise.)
Where to stay?
I went to Gili Trawangan to rest and chill but if you want to party, it’s also the place to be. Gili Air and Gili Meno are more for families, couples and also for solo travelers who maybe want a retreat. There’s not so much restaurants and bars in the other two islands compared to Gili T so you’ll figure it’s a bit quiet.
I stayed in Le Pirate Hotel which is in the other side of Gili Trawangan, a few minutes away from the bars and restaurants. Honestly, I don’t need to go out to get good food because the food there was so delicious. Also, I just had to ask them to reserve me a slot for all the other tours and activities I wanted to do in the island. Voila! It’s done. If you are looking for good service and good location then Le Pirate is the place to be.
Another restaurant that you can try in the island is The Banyan Tree. They offer delicious vegan food and desserts.
How to go around Gili Trawangan:
- Cidomo: A small horse-drawn carriage used for transportation around the island around. Estimated cost is around Php300-600 per way depending on location.
- Bike: You can rent a bike from Le Pirate hotel, around Php230 per day. You can finish exploring the island in 30-45 minutes.
What to do in Gili Islands:
- Find a quiet spot where you can park your bike, swim and read your book.
- Take a photo on the famous sunset swings!
- Book a snorkeling or scuba tour. Le Pirate can help you book it! We went snorkeling in two spots in Gili Meno.
- Chill in Le Pirate: in the pool or in your cabin
- Watch the sunset while drinking beer!
The itinerary above is good if you wish to just chill and relax. If you want to party, no problem, you can just walk around the island and you’ll certainly find some bars and clubs to satisfy you!
Till the next trip! Ciao!
Follow me in Instagram @travelanyway for random trips and travel thoughts.